Saturday, November 15, 2014

Retirement Means New Possibilities

Over the years I have gone to many concerts and other events in the South Bend area and been amazed at how few people I knew in the audience.   Our church community is fairly small, my colleagues at work were limited in number, we no longer have soccer games and school activities for our children, and, as a result, I guess the circle of my acquaintances is not large.

Last night at a wonderful and entertaining Notre Dame Glee Club concert, I was amazed and pleased that my life in retirement has not been more limited but, in some ways, has expanded.

 At the concert,  I was able to introduce Jim to a fellow docent from the Snite Museum and to a young singer from the Notre Dame Repertory Choir.  The fellow docent is an expert in Native-American culture and has added much to our training sessions.  The young singer is working on a Master's degree in Sacred Music and is auditioning for Chanticleer and if that doesn't work, wants to go to Oxford or Cambridge to be a part of one of their chorale programs.

Sometimes the days are a bit long and lonely and I do wish I could be more a part of my children's and grandchildren's lives.  But for now, I need to be here in South Bend.  I am happy to be having enriching experiences and meeting new and interesting people right here.

1 comment: